AS Course Outline
Why choose Edexcel AS Level Spanish?
The new Edexcel AS Level in Spanish has been developed to inspire all students who have an appreciation of the language, literature, film and culture of the Spanish-speaking world.
Inspiring and engaging Themes
- There are familiar and popular themes as well as some new content that provides clear links to some of the most fundamental and interesting aspects of the culture of the target language country and communities.
Popular literary texts and films
- There is a rich choice of literary texts and films that includes contemporary and more classical titles, together with authentic source materials from Spain and the wider Spanish-speaking world.
How do students benefit from Spanish AS?
It is anticipated that students will:
- Enhance their linguistic skills and promote and develop their capacity for critical thinking on the basis of their knowledge and understanding of the language, culture and society of the country or countries where the language is spoken
- Develop control of the language system to convey meaning, using spoken and written skills, including an extended range of vocabulary, for both practical and intellectual purposes as increasingly confident, accurate and independent users of the language
- Develop their ability to interact effectively with users of the language in speech and in writing, including through online media
- Develop language learning skills and strategies, including communication strategies to sustain communication and build fluency and confidence
- Engage critically with intellectually stimulating texts, films and other materials in the language, developing an appreciation of sophisticated and creative uses of the language and understanding them within their cultural and social context
- Mediate between cultures and between speakers of the language and speakers of English
- Foster their ability to learn other languages
- Equip themselves with transferable skills such as autonomy, resourcefulness, creativity, critical thinking and linguistic, cultural and cognitive flexibility that will enable them to proceed to further study or employment.
|SPANISH (EDX) AS Internal Assessment
Paper 1: Listening, reading and translation
1 hour and 45 minutes,
40% of the qualification,
Students are not permitted access to a dictionary during the examination.
Section A: Listening (24 marks)
A listening assessment based on a recording, featuring male and female Spanish speakers. Students will respond to comprehension questions based on a variety of contexts and sources.
Section B: Reading (28 marks)
A reading assessment based on a variety of text-types and genres where students will have to respond to comprehension questions.
Section C: Translation into English (12 marks)
An unseen passage to be translated from Spanish to English
Paper 2: Written response to works and translation
1 hour and 40 minutes,
30% of the qualification,
This paper includes a translation exercise and an extended response on either one literary text or one film.
Students are not permitted access to a dictionary or any documentation relating to the works during the examination.
Section A: Translation (20 marks)
Students translate an unseen passage from English into Spanish.
Section B: Written response to works (literary texts) (40 marks)
Students select one question from a choice of two for their chosen literary text. If a student answers a question in this section then they do not complete Section C.
Section C: Written response to works (films) (40 marks)
Students select one question from a choice of two for their chosen film. If a student answer a question in this section then they do not complete Section B
Paper 3: Speaking
Internally conducted and externally assessed
Total assessment time:
between 27 and 30 minutes
30% of the qualification,
Task 1 requires students to read and respond to two short texts based on Theme 1: La evolución de la sociedad española and then hold a discussion.
Task 2 is based on a discussion from Theme 2: La cultura política y artística en el mundo hispanohablante.
Structure of the Course
This course will be taught for 5x 1hour lessons per week. Homework will be set weekly and deadlines must be adhered to. Reading of textbooks is essential.
Edexcel A-level Spanish, Hodder Education.
www.donquijote.org/cultura, www.newsinslowspanish.com (subscription), www.elpais.es, www.elmundo.es, www.lavanguardia.es, www.abc.es